What Is Agile?
Agile is a methodology based on empirical and incremental approach and the basic idea of it is to develop in repeated cycles (Iterative) and small parts at a time (Incremental) this in turn results in developers be able to learn and continuously detect any issues that may arise during the development.
It is a collaborative environment that encourages team members and active users or customers to participate throughout the project development.
What Is Scrum?
Scrum is an agile framework which handles complex projects while delivering high value products at the shortest time.
It enables team collaboration as it is a self-organizing team and can quickly react to any changes. Scrum is a simple framework, it’s lightweight and simple to understand but difficult to master.
What is their difference?
Scrum is a framework of the Agile methodology and their difference is simply on the process and difference in team roles.
Characteristics of Agile
- Based on iterative and incremental approach
- A team leader leads the team
- Collaborates with other teams in the company/organization
- Requires enough backlog for the entire sprint duration
- Continuous and frequent delivery of valuable software for user feedback
- Responds to requirement changes even late in the development
Characteristics of Scrum
- Incremental changes of the working product are delivered after a 2-4 weeks sprint
- Requires only few backlog to start with and more will be added along the way
- Decisions are made based on experimentation rather than a detailed planning (see: Empirical Process Control)
- Daily scrum meeting is conducted everyday to discuss what was done yesterday, what is to be done today, and were there any impediments
- There is no team leader, the team is self-organized and the scrum master handles any issues with the team during the development
- Product demo or review is presented after every sprint
- Sprint planning is discussed after every sprint
- Can quickly react to changes
Although there are many different Agile frameworks available to use depending on which one better suits your team or project, Scrum is one of the most popular one widely used today mainly because of its simplicity and the ability to quickly react to changes.
Their differences mainly are in their process and team roles, in the end both are used for the benefit of the customers by delivering working products rapidly.
We have these available free tools for you ready to download!
- Training video tools
- Handouts for your students
- Slide Presentations
- Presenter Instructions